Saturday, January 1, 2011

2011! My New Year's To Do List


The last week, I've spent taking some time off of work and, well, cleaning. Cleaning, cleaning and more cleaning. Man, my house was a wreck. In all that time spent straightening, dusting, vacuuming, I've had a lot of mental space to think. Maybe too much. Because I have about 45 new year's resolutions. So, rather than resolutions, I thought I'd make a list of the 11 things I'd like to accomplish in 2011. Here we go.

1. Take one photo of my children every day of 2011. Credit goes to Grethel Van Epps for convincing me that it can be done and it is worth doing. So, starting today, I threw my camera over my shoulder and made it a point to capture an everyday moment.

2. Complete a mini-triatholon.
I'm nobody's Tamara Lackey ;-), but I want to make working out a habit. That means you, Curtis Selby. I'm ready to get back to the gym and feel good about my body again. My mom has upped the ante. She wants to do the Ramblin Rose. And if she can do it, I should be able to too????

3. Get a tattoo.
Why not? My best friend did it this year. And like always, I'm late to the game. I just can't decide what I want. Maybe my kid's initials?

4. Photograph a wedding.
Okay, so those of you that remember me retiring as a wedding planner are scratching your heads, but hey, I miss it.

5. Create a blog worth reading.
I am the most hit and miss blogger on the planet. This year, that changes. I want to blog often. For me, if not for you.

6. Have dates with my kids.
The zone defense is taking it's toll on our relationships and I'm ready to play man to man again. I want to get to know my kids better, in their own space and time.

7. Go to a really amazing country concert.
Zac Brown anyone?

8. Get my house (and garage) organized.
Does anyone remember the trash heap from Fraggle Rock? I swear, the mess around here is minutes away from talking to me. Okay, it's not that bad. But I'd love to have organized closets that stay that way.

9. Read.
A book every couple of weeks. I'm willing to give up TV altogether, but I miss reading so much. And I love the payoff that comes at the end of a book. In 2011, I want to read more.

10. Spend more time with my husband.
He doesn't make it easy with his galavanting all over the globe, but I'd like to spend more time with my husband. So maybe, I'll pack my bags and head to India or Singapore with him.

11. Laugh more. I'm good at capturing amazing moments behind the lens, but sometimes that keeps me from experiencing them. I want to live in the moment more in 2011, to pause, relax and enjoy the wild ride going on in my work and family life.

So, that's it. What I'd like to do in 2011. I'll have to post at the end of the year next year and let you know how I did on all these. So, what do you want to do this year?

2 comments:

Mrs. Kontos said...

I'm repeating the Ramblin' Rose in October. It was a blast! Make sure you sign up soon 'cause it fills up fast! I'll run a lap for you tomorrow. Demetra

ksmithwick said...

Hey Corey! I can totally relate to the toll that zone defense takes on parents. I'd definitely second your resolution to spend more 1-on-1 time with the kids...think I'll add it to my list too! And, I love reading your posts! - Kristen